A mother is charged with murdering her baby boy by cutting his throat in order for him to “be with God and Jesus.”

The 30-year-old mother of three and wife of a US Army staff sergeant, April Evalyn Short, was taken into custody on Wednesday, Nov. 15, and charged with one count of murder. The allegation that the crime was committed during child abuse is an aggravating circumstance.

On November 15, 2023, at around 8:01 a.m. local time, Short sent her husband a worrying text message. That is when the fatal occurrence at their Georgian home took place.

According to an affidavit acquired by Law&Crime, the letter included references to God, implying that “the days of darkness are upon us,” and expressed a desire for them to be together.

Whilst on duty at Fort Eisenhower Army Installation, the husband hurried home, fearing for the safety of their youngest kid.

When he got there, he found that Short had locked herself and their three kids in the master bedroom. He made quick touch with the cops.

When Short finally emerged from the locked room at approximately 9:05 a.m., the couple’s two older children, ages 6 and 11, were with her. When she tried to drive away from the scene, a policeman with a revolver drawn stopped her.

The husband discovered their youngest child was gone at this moment. When he got back to the master bedroom, he saw the baby there, wrapped in plastic, apparently gushing from the neck and covered in wounds.

After calling for emergency assistance, the victim was taken to the Army Medical Centre and, at around 9.34 am, was officially declared dead.

The 6-year-old youngster claimed that Short had equipped herself with two knives in order to assist the victim in “getting to God and Jesus.”

In a police interrogation, Short allegedly admitted to severing the baby’s neck, saying that she had blocked the door, covered the child with a shower curtain, and tried to use a knife. She used one knife, then another when it didn’t work.

The 6-year-old recalled her mother giving her the terrifying advice to stay out of the bathroom because it may be “really scary.”

According to reports, Short threatened to hurt the youngster if she didn’t stop sobbing. Short admitted in her confession to being wrong and acting in a “evil” way.

Short appeared before US Magistrate Judge Brian K. Epps for her initial hearing, during which she did not enter a plea. The case is now set for a thorough legal examination to uncover the full details surrounding the incident.